March 2008 • Volume 2, Issue 1
Affordable freight is now approaching its sixth year. With every year we strive to learn and adapt to an ever changing and challenging industry. In 2008 we will work even harder to bring our customers the exceptional service they deserve. One of our main goals is to provide an expanding list of options which now includes:
We are able to provide all of this due to a large network of associates that are excellent in what they do. We are here to save you time and to take the stress out of shipping. We put a lot of hard work and dedication into each and every shipment. Excellence and options are what we provide.
We have gone through some changes over the last 18 months. Without any reduction in service we restructured and closed our Ontario office. With toll free long distance and the Internet we can provide the same excellent service more economically from our main office. We have a bilingual customer service department and a very knowledgeable accounting department.
Our founder, Del Sanford became ill and passed away in early 2007. We work hard each and every day to continue in his memory. Our sales representative, Camille Sanford, left in August 2007 to try something new in her career. We wish her all the best in her new endeavor.
The AFC Advantage
Affordable Freight Consultants is a complete freight transportation provider. Offering Truckload, Inter-modal and Load to Ride Services covering North American. We offer daily service, delivering one pallet or more between the United States and Canada in all major cities.
Rail transportation: Affordable Freight is able to provide direct communication between our customers and the railroads, giving our customers the edge on pricing, tracking and transit times. We are an Authorized Independent Sales Representative for Pacer Global Logistics and The Walsh Transportation Group.
Intermodal: We can provide 20, 40 or 45 foot ocean containers through our repositioning program to ocean ports on the west coast such as Los Angeles, CA, Seattle and Spokane, WA, Portland, OR, and Vancouver, BC. We have many other inter-modal options so please call to see what we have to offer.
Shipper's Edge – helpful hints
Welcome to the Shippers Edge, courtesy of M.O. Logistics Works and Forbes Hewlett — two of our partner carriers.
We are pleased to provide you with a couple of hot tips that can help you to reduce your costs significantly — giving you the competitive edge you need to be successful in achieving your business goals. We hope that you will find this information helpful.
Think Like a Carrier! Some carriers will give the shipper a break if the pallet is no larger than 48” x 43” x 48” high. This configuration may allow the carrier to put logistics bars in the trailer so another pallet can be set on top, therefore unitizing all available space in the trailer to increase revenue. If no bars are available, maybe your product can be double stacked if handled with care.
Give Sufficient Notice: When arranging for a pick-up, be sure to give your carrier sufficient notice. This could help save you money because the carrier can better unitize their equipment to cut down on empty miles. A days notice is usually recommended.
Fill Out Your BOL Completely and Correctly: The bill of lading is a legal contract between you and the carrier. If it is not completed properly, or if important information is missing, your shipment may be delayed. Some carriers also charge extra for paperwork corrections.
The BOL must clearly indicate:
• The shipper’s name, complete address, phone numbers, contact name, and hours of shipping.
• The consignee’s name, complete address, phone numbers, and hours of receiving.
• The shipping date.
• A detailed description of the shipment including the number of pieces, type of packaging (i.e. cartons, skids, and drums), shipment dimensions and correct weight, hazardous materials information, and delicate cargo instructions.
• The declared value of the goods.
• The company paying for the freight charges. Prepaid charges indicate that you will pay. Collect charges will be collected from the consignee. Mention third party billing, if applicable, and indicate if COD charges apply.
• If shipping cross-border, you must indicate the type of clearance you or the consignee prefer and the name of the Customs Broker (or their appointed agents) at the Frontier Port or Inland Customs Warehouse.
• Special instructions for the carrier to ensure prompt delivery and shipment updates.
• Authorized signatures.
Do you have any questions, newsletter questions, ideas or address corrections?
877-417-3036 or 902-678-7480
Fax: 902-678-7481 or 866-311-2811
Affordable Freight Consultants Inc.
76 Mee Road
Kentville, NS B4N 1W7